Tom Kha Soup
Updated: Jul 28, 2020
A refreshing soup simmered in #CoconutMilk and fresh seasonal vegetables. Add Tofu for the much needed protein.
Red Curry paste is a key ingredient in this preparation. You can make it from scratch at home but given the plethora of ingredients that it calls for, you can use the Thai Kitchen's vegan Red Curry paste for convenience like way I do. Cooking shouldn't be complicated, should it? As long as you can achieve a healthy version of restaurant style dishes at home!
https://www.amazon.com/Thai-Kitchen-Red-Curry-Paste/dp/B007QR5EPQ Not a sponsored link, but just a recommendation.
Serves 4 people Ready in 20 min
● 2 cans Thai Lite coconut milk
● 1/2 cup water
● 1 tbps Sesame oil or any oil of choice
● 1 large Onion sliced
● 1 inch Ginger chopped
● 1 Bell Peppers ( Mixed Colors) sliced
● 1.5 tbsp Red curry paste
● 1 block Firm Tofu ( Bake or Sauté or Raw )
● 3 Bay leaves ( Optional)
● Salt to taste
● Garnish with herbs
1. Baked Tofu (optional): Preheat oven to 400F. Squeeze out moisture as much as possible. Cut tofu into cubes. Marinate tofu cubes in oil, salt and pepper. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the tofu and bake for 25 min.
2. Heat oil in a pan, once hot add in the red pepper flakes and Bay leaves.
3. Toss in the chopped onions and sauté until golden brown. Add in the salt here. It will help onions to cook faster.
4. It’s time to add the ginger. Stir it a little till the raw smell disappears.
5. Add in the bell peppers and sauté until tender. Make sure the crispness is still retained.
6. Toss in the coconut milk and stir it for a couple of minutes until the flavors are incorporated.
7. Let it simmer for 5 minutes till you no longer smell of the raw red curry paste. Your kitchen will now start smelling like the best vegan restaurant in town!
8. Add in the water and bring it to a gentle boil to achieve the soupy consistency.
8. Add the baked or sautéed Tofu cubes.
9. Garnish with Thai basil or the herbs on hand.
Serve hot with some fresh summer rolls or a bowl of fried rice!