Updated: Mar 8
A delicious unleavened flatbread from India made of Sorghum flour. Rich in fiber and heart healthy! Serve it hot with a side of choice.
Sorghum is globally being considered very healthy for its gluten-free, whole grain goodness. In India Sorghum, known as Jowar in Hindi, Cholam in Tamil and Jonna in Telugu, is a staple, especially in the western and southern parts of the country where it is ground into flour and is used to make rotis, bhakri, cheela, dosa etc. Sorghum millet first originated in Africa.
Sorghum is gluten free. But, if you would like to have soft rotis without compromising on the health benefits, it is good to include a portion of wheat flour. There are several variations of Sorghum rotis. This recipe is very healthy as is but you can fresh fenugreek leaves, that offer an array of benefits like we do with Methi Thepla. The addition of spices makes it savory and flavorful.
Skip the wheat flour for a gluten free alternative.
Enjoy it was a lip smacking side dish like Channa Masala for a warm and healthy meal.
Makes 12 rotis Ready in 45 min
● 1 1/2 cups Sorghum flour
● 3/4 cups Whole wheat flour
● 3 tsp oil
● 1 tsp Turmeric
● Water as required
● 1/2 inch Ginger, grated
● 2 Green chilis, chopped fine
● 1 cup chopped fresh Fenugreek leaves or dried leaves (optional)
● Oil to roast the rotis
● Salt to taste
1. Take a medium sized bowl and add whole wheat flour, sorghum flour and oil. Mix well and form a crumb like mixture.
2. Add in the rest of the dry ingredients.
3. Add water as required and knead till it becomes a soft dough. Rub the surface of the dough with a little bit of oil. Cover with a moist paper towel or cloth and set aside for at least 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Gently knead the dough. Divide them into equal roundlets and pat them to make small discs with some whole wheat flour.
9. Now roll it to make a nice round flat bread. Dust it with sorghum flour or wheat flour from time to time to make sure it doesn't stick to the surface.
10. Heat a griddle to high heat. Add the prepared rotis and roast on both sides for about 30 seconds until nicely roasted. Flip over and brush with oil on both sides of the roti. Time to serve them as a delicious breakfast , lunch or dinner!