Updated: Sep 26, 2020
Glorious North Indian dish made with #chickpeas simmered in a fragrant Onion and Tomato Masala. Pair it with Naan or a bowl of rice for a complete meal.
You can boil the Chickpeas in a pressure cooker or an #InstantPot.
Instant Pot setting: Soak dry Chickpeas for about 6 hours, and pressure cook on Manual setting for 20 min and Natural pressure release.
If you are short of time just grab a can of good quality, organic chickpeas. I love #TraderJoes brand. Nice clean quality.
● 3 cups of Boiled Chickpeas aka garbanzo beans
● 1 big onion
● 5 medium tomatoes pureed
● 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
● 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
● 2 tbsp Chole masala powder
● 2 Bay leaves
● Few springs of Cilantro
● Salt to taste
1.Boil chickpeas in a pressure cooker and set aside
2. Heat oil in a pan, once hot add in the Bay leaves and the Cumin seeds. I use fresh bay leaves as I have a tree in my backyard, but the dry ones are very good too.
3. Toss in the chopped onions and sauté until golden brown. Add in the salt here. It will help onions to cook faster.
4. It’s time to add the ginger garlic paste. Stir it a little till the raw smell disappears.
5. Add in the pureed tomatoes. Close the lid of the pan for a bit as it tends to splutter. Save your skin and clothes!
6. Cook until the oil separates. Should take about 15 minutes.
7. Sprinkle the Chole masala powder. My go to brand is #Everest. Let it cook for 5 min.
9. Smash a few beans with the back of the ladle to achieve a creamy consistency.
10. Another 5 minutes as you enjoy the aroma of the dish as it fills up your kitchen.
11. Garnish with Cilantro.
Serve hot with Naan or a bowl of #basmati rice. If you have leftovers, spread it between a couple of slices of bread and you have a yummy sandwich!
Ready in 30 minutes Serves 4 people
As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases