A lip-smacking unleavened flatbread from India made of fresh Fenugreek leaves. A quick and healthy dish that truly packs a punch! Makes a wonderful meal on the go. Must try!
Methi thepla is a staple dish in most Indian households and is often prepared for a wholesome and delicious breakfast. The dish originated in the state of Gujarat in India. Methi means Fenugreek leaves and Thepla means unleavened flatbread. There are several variations of thepla. This recipe is very healthy with the addition of fresh fenugreek leaves, that offer an array of benefits. The addition of spices makes it savory and flavorful.
Prep the fresh methi leaves: Pluck the leaves from the stem. In a bowl of warm water add in a pinch of turmeric and salt. Add the leaves and let them soak for a good 20 min. This will take care of the inherent bitterness without losing the flavor or nutritive value. Squeeze the water out completely and chop the leaves. Now the leaves are ready to use.
Vegan alternative: Skip the yogurt in the recipe to make it vegan
Makes 12 theplas Ready in 45 min
● 2 cups Whole wheat flour
● 3 tsp oil or ghee
● 1 tsp Turmeric
● 1/4 cup yogurt (optional)
● 1/4 cup Gram flour
● Water as required
● 1 tsp red chilli powder
● 1/2 inch Ginger, grated
● 2 Green chilis, chopped fine
● 2 tbsp finely chopped Coriander leaves
● 1 cup chopped fresh Fenugreek leaves or dried leaves
● Oil to roast the theplas
● Salt to taste
● Yogurt with a dash of pepper & salt
1. Take a medium sized bowl and add whole wheat flour, gram flour, yogurt and oil. Mix well and form a crumb like mixture.
2. Add in the rest of the dry ingredients.
3. Add water as required and knead till it becomes a soft dough. Rub the surface of the dough with a little bit of oil. Cover with a moist paper towel or cloth and set aside for at least 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Gently knead the wheat flour dough. Divide them into equal roundlets and pat them to make small discs with some whole wheat flour.
9. Now roll it to make a nice round flat bread. Dust it with wheat flour from to time to make sure it doesn't stick to the surface.
10. Heat a griddle to high heat. Add the prepared methi thepla and roast on both sides for about 30 seconds until nicely roasted. Flip over and brush with oil on both sides of the thepla. Time to serve them as a delicious breakfast , lunch or dinner!
Serve hot with yogurt, pickle and a dollop of butter. It tastes just as good and is still soft even when served at room temperature. Just wrap them individually in aluminum foil, for an awesome on the go meal!