A lip-smacking, savory lentil crepe, served with an aromatic and simple curry or chutney. Authentic dish from South India. A must try!
Adai is a healthy, protein rich & nutrient dense breakfast made of mixed lentils & spices. An extremely healthy recipe that calls for lentils, rice and spices to be soaked and ground into a batter. A traditional breakfast recipe, but can be served any time of the day. It is served in restaurants across South India, with chutney or Avial.
South India hosts a wide array of dosa varieties. This version is soft yet crisp, traditionally made slightly thick. A ladle of the batter is poured on a tawa and a few drops of oil are drizzled along the sides and cooked till its nicely roasted on both sides.
Key ingredients for this recipe are Channa Dhal, Urad Dhal, Moong Dhal, Toor Dhal Parboiled rice or Raw rice, Dry red chillies and Asafoetida. As you can see, its packed with lentils. These are soaked for about 5 hours and ground into a fine batter. Fermentation of the batter is not required. Give it a try and it will soon become your staple breakfast or even dinner that's healthy and vegan!
Makes 10 Active cook time 30 min
● 1 cup Parboiled rice or regular rice
● 2 tbsp cup Urad dhal
● 1/4 cup Channa Dhal
● 1/4 cup Toor dhal
● 2 tbsp Moong Dhal
● 6 Dry Red Chillies
● 1/4 cup Shallots chopped (optional)
● 1 tbsp Asafoetida
● 10 Curry leaves
● Salt to Taste
● Oil to season the tawa
1. Take a medium sized bowl and add the rice, lentils (dhals) and the red chillies. Soak in water for 4 to 5 hours.
3. Drain the water from the rice and lentils and add them to the blender. Blend them to a smooth batter. The consistency should resemble an American pancake batter.
6. Mix the batter. Add in salt, Asafoetida, finely chopped shallots, curry leaves and stir it a bit.
7. Heat a griddle or tawa to medium-high heat and season lightly with oil. Sesame oil is recommended. Pour in a ladle of the batter spread it like you see in the pic, drizzle some oil and let it roast until crisp.
8. Once it's roasted on one side flip and cook on the other side. Serve with your favorite chutney or curry! Some just enjoy it with a blob of butter.
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.