A silky smooth, whipped up happiness in a bowl from India. Yogurt dish with hints of cardamom and saffron give this dessert a royal vibe. Perfect and quick to pamper the sweet tooth!
Shrikhand is a dessert from the state of Gujarat in India. It is noted for its marked presence during festive occasions, especially weddings! Shrikhand has a lot of variations. Some enjoy it just plain and sweetened. There is a fruity variant where mango puree is whipped into the preparation. All of these taste wonderful. Shrikhand is served by itself as a dessert or as a side dish with the fried Indian flatbread, Puri!
If you aren't new to Aromatic Project, you are aware of my love story with cardamom and saffron! These two ingredients create magic the moment they are added to any sweet dish and give it the Indian taste and aroma. The recipe below is just sweetened greek yogurt flavored with cardamom and saffron. A simple dish with just 5 ingredients. Greek yogurt, sugar, saffron, cardamom and nuts.
Greek yogurt simplifies the process a great deal. If you don't have greek yogurt, just tie in regular curd/yogurt in a muslin cloth or a bag and place it in a strainer for a good 5 hours in the refrigerator, with a bowl underneath to collect the water. This strained yogurt can be used in the recipe.
A pretty yet simple dessert. A feast to the eyes and the sweet tooth, as you relish a spoonful of this creamy delight! If you are a photo buff like I am, fill it in piping bags a pipe it onto serving cups!
Vegan alternative: Replace the yogurt with a plant based yogurt. Cashew yogurt will work great for this recipe.
Serves 4 Prep Time 10 min
● 4 cups cold Greek yogurt/ strained yogurt
● 2 tbsp Warm milk
● 1/2 cup of slivered Almonds, Pistachios
● 3 tsp Cardamom powder from pods ( 8 pods)
● Generous pinch of Saffron
● 6 tbsp powdered Sugar
1. Warm milk in a small bowl and add in the saffron and let it sit for 10 min.
2. Take a medium sized bowl and add in the greek yogurt/ strained yogurt, cardamom powder, soaked saffron along with the milk and powdered sugar.
3. Whisk it real smooth using a hand whisk or an electric one.
4. Spoon it or pipe it into serving cups.
5. Garnish with nuts and refrigerate until its served.
Best served cold. Also, tastes great as a side with Puris. Works great as an yogurt based frosting!
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases