Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
A classic American cake, that is super soft and moist. Simple one layer cake made of a white cake base and topped with caramelized pineapples. It's a family favorite!
Pineapple Upside-down cake, is said to have come into being when canned Pineapples were introduced in America. Having said that, this cake is made out of canned pineapple rings that are available year round. Fresh pineapple will turn the cake soggy. Usually baked as a single layer cake, without any frosting.
The pineapples caramelized in butter and brown sugar make it indulgent. One cannot stop with a slice! I tend to bake 6" cakes, as it helps with portion control. You can always double the recipe below and make a couple of 6" cakes or one 9" round cake. But, bake for 10 min longer if you are baking one large cake. Just stack 2 small cakes and it could serve as a simple yet beautiful birthday surprise too!
It is old fashioned and rustic looking. Pineapples are arranged in the bottom of the cake pan with butter and brown sugar. Once the cake is baked, and inverted the caramelized pineapples make a decorative topping. The cake is dotted with cherries along with the pineapples, but I skipped it in order to completely savor the taste of pineapples. The juice from the pineapples when baked renders a unique softness to the cake. A must try!
Serves 4 people Ready in 40 min
● 1 15oz can of Pineapple slices
● 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
● 4 tablespoon Butter
● 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
● 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
● 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
● 1/4 cup Sugar
● 1/4 cup Yogurt
● 3 tbsp Milk
● 4 tbsp Oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Prepare a 6" cake pan by applying a thin layer of butter and lining it with parchment paper. Very important, or the cake will stick to the pan.
3. Melt the butter in a bowl and whisk it along with the brown sugar.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan.
5. Drain the pineapples from the can, pat dry with a paper towel and arrange them to your liking on top of the butter sugar mixture.
6. In a medium sized bowl, add in all the wet ingredients and mix them with a wired whisk.
7. Set a sieve on top of the bowl and add in the dry ingredients. This is important in order to avoid blobs of flour or baking soda in the cake.
8. Whisk the wet and dry ingredients together thoroughly.
9. Pour it gently on top of the prepared pineapple pieces.
10. Tap the pan a couple of times on the counter top to take care of any air bubbles.
11 Bake in preheated oven for 30min. Check doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake and it should come out clean.
12. Let the cake cool in the pan for at least 20 min.
13. Now invert the cake onto the serving plate, to unveil the beautiful caramelized fruit topping.
Serve warm with scoop of Vanilla ice cream on the side!
Bake it just before guests arrive, to welcome them with the sweet aroma of butter and pineapples!