A royal Parsi cake that melts in the mouth is a delight for special occasions! Sumptuous and baked to perfection with milk solids, saffron, cardamom and nuts.
Mawa cake is also known as Khoya cake. Khoya is evaporated milk solids. Mawa cake is a Parsi dessert that gained popularity in India. It's often sold as little squares in Parsi and Iranian bakeries. The cake is rich with butter, milk solids, saffron, cardamom and nuts! So, a little goes a long way! It's an ethnic cake that can be served during festive occasions.
Khoya for this cake can be made from scratch at home or feel free to use store bought readymade khoya. I usually have condensed milk on hand and make a quick version in the microwave. It's a versatile recipe that can pamper your sweet tooth!
Fluffy and moist cake without eggs or egg replacers. Just dress it with slivered almonds and pistachios for a decadent treat! The inherent sweetness of the khoya makes up for the lack of frosting. Great accompaniment with a cup of coffee or badam kheer.
Makes 8" cake Total Time 1 hr Prep Time 10 min
● 1 can unsweetened condensed milk
● 1 tbsp Ghee ( clarified butter)
● 1 tbsp Yogurt
Take a large microwave safe bowl. Add the above ingredients and whisk them until combined. Place it in the microwave and cook for a total of 6 min. Stir it at intervals of 2 min. This will ensure that its cooked evenly and doesn't spill over. The bowl will be very hot so watch out for that. Let the contents come to room temperature before using it in the cake.
● 1/2 cup Sugar
● 1/2 cup Butter at room temperature
● 1 cup Yogurt at room temperature
● 1 1/2 cup All purpose Flour
● 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
● 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
● 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
● 1/2 cup Khoya
● 1 tsp Cardamom
● 1 tsp Saffron
● 1/2 cup Slivered nuts (Almonds, Pistachios)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 8" cake pan with parchment paper.
2. Take a medium sized bowl and whisk in the butter and sugar. Then add in the yogurt and whisk until fluffy.
3. Sift all the dry ingredients except Cardamom powder and saffron, and fold in with the wet ingredients in a clockwise direction and whisk well.
3. Make sure all the ingredients are incorporated well. Now fold in the Cardamom powder and Saffron. The batter will be thicker than a usual cake batter.
4. Pour the cake batter in the pan. Add in the slivered nuts on top of the cake.
5. Bake at 350 F for approximately 40 min.
6. Check if its done by inserting a toothpick in the center at 35min. It should come out clean.
7. Let the cake sit in the pan for about 20 min before removing it to serve.
Best served at room temperature.
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.