A mildly spiced rice dish with the goodness of vegetables and cooked in coconut milk. The coconut imparts a subtle sweetness. The play of flavors is remarkable!
Pulav is a common rice dish from the Indian subcontinent. It's a very popular one pot dish that can be made in a jiffy and served with Raitha! The preparation involves cooking rice along with spices, vegetables and broth of choice or even water. Rice gets cooked to perfection and vegetables are just cooked and retain their vibrant color and nutrition.
There are several variations of pulav. A simple vegetable pulav involves cooking rice and vegetables in water infused with spices. The recipe below calls for cooking the dish with sautéed whole spices and cooked in coconut milk.
Coconut pulav can be made in the Instant pot or stove top. I use an Instant Pot for my pressure cooking needs. You can adapt the same recipe and modify the cooking time based on the method you use for making the pulav. The recipe is for Basmati rice. The water content and cooking time vary largely based on the type of rice used in the preparation.
Serves 3 people Ready in 30 min
● 4 cups of vegetables chopped
● Carrots, beans, corn, potato (vegetables of choice)
● 2 cups basmati rice
● Few Mint leaves
● 2 Green chillies
● 2 Bay leaves
● 1 Mace - optional
● 4 Cloves
● 3 Cinnamon sticks
● 4 Cardamom pods
● Few sprigs of chopped Cilantro
● 1 1/2 cups Coconut Milk
● 1/2 cup Water
● 2 tbsp Oil
● Salt to taste
1. Set the Instant Pot to Sauté mode
2. Once Hot, add in the bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon sticks, cardamom, mace and slit green chillis and sauté for a couple of seconds.
3. Add in the chopped vegetables. They can be fresh or frozen. Stir them with the whole spices.
4. Toss in the Basmati rice and mix them up.
5. Stir in the coconut milk and water.
5. Salt the liquid. I would add 2 tbsp but adjust based to your taste. Give it a stir.
6. Cancel the Sauté mode.
7. Select Manual or Pressure cook and set to 6 min and quick pressure release at 9 min.
8. Once the pressure has been manually released and the pin drops, open the Instant pot and fluff with a fork.
Serve hot with Pomegranate raitha or delicious Kadai paneer.
As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.