A silky smooth, delectable milk pudding made of carrots and cashews. Hints of cardamom and saffron give this dessert drink a royal vibe. Perfect for any festive occasion.
Milk pudding with a smoothie consistency is referred to as "Kheer" in North India and "Payasam" in South India. There are a million different versions of kheer made in India. Each one is unique in flavor and taste.
Carrot Kheer is one of the healthy variations. The carotene in the carrots imparts a beautiful orange hue to the dish while Cashews give it the smooth and creamy texture.
Some tend to add milk solids "Khoya" in the preparation but its highly optional. The recipe below only calls for 5 ingredients. It's very easy to put together, yet the end result is lip smacking fantastic!
Again, if you like a grainy texture grate the carrots. But, I prefer it silky smooth so I just blend the ingredients smoothie style. Try the recipe below and modify it as you go along!
Vegan alternative: Just replace Dairy milk with Cashew milk and replace the Clarified butter with Vegan butter.
Serves 4 Prep Time 20 min
● 3 cups Milk
● 2 Carrots peeled and chopped
● 1/4 cup Cashews
● 1 tsp Cardamom powder from pods ( 5 pods)
● Pinch of Saffron
● 1 tsp Ghee "clarified butter"
● 1/4 cup Sugar
1. Heat ghee in a pot. Once warm add in the chopped carrots and give it a stir.
2. Mix in the cashews and cook it along with the carrots until the raw smell disappears.
3. Add 2 cups of milk and boil the carrots and cashews. Carrots have to be well cooked. In the process the milk also reduces a bit. Turn off the stove.
4. Now blend this mixture smooth in a blender.
5. Transfer it back into the pot again and turn on the stove. Add in the remaining milk , and cook on medium for about 5 minutes.
6. Add the sugar, cardamom powder and saffron. Let all the ingredients cook together for another 5 min. Mix frequently to ensure that the milk doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
7. Turn off the flame. Serve warm or chilled!
Best served warm or cold. The dish tends to thicken a it as it cools down. Garnish with saffron.
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases