A mild yet flavorful stir fry rice dish with the goodness of vegetables. The fusion of Asian flavors elevates this simple dish to a mouth watering main coarse! Serve it with a spicy side for an awesome meal. Unbelievably Vegan!
The vegetable fried rice featured here is an Indo Chinese fusion dish, that incorporates Indian flavors cooked in a Chinese wok style. Rice is boiled to perfection and stir fried at high heat with finely chopped seasoned vegetables. This rice dish is very popular in India and features in the Indo Chinese section of the menu. You can often find it being served at small joints on the streets, and hence its often also refereed to as "Street Style" Fried rice!
Rice should be well cooked, but not mushy for this recipe. The cooked grains should be separate. There are a few ways to achieve this.
Traditional method: Soak 2 cups of Basmati rice. Bring about 5 cups of water to a rolling boil in a pot. Season with salt and add in some sesame oil. Add the soaked and drained rice into the pot and cook until its al dente. Press the grain in between your fingers and it should be cooked. Strain and spread on a plate to cool.
Easy method: that I adapt. I use an #InstantPot for all my pressure cooking needs. 2 cups Basmati rice to the inner pot. Add 2.75 cups water along with some salt and oil. Set manual 6 min and quick pressure release at 8 min. Fluff with a fork. Spread it on a plate and cool it completely. Else it will turn mushy when you stir fry with the vegetables.
Use left over rice, and most often its a good way to repurpose it with a new look and flavor!
Serves 3 people Ready in 30 min
● 4 cups of vegetables finely chopped
● Carrots, beans, cabbage, Bell pepper
● 2 cups basmati rice
● Pinch of White pepper powder (optional)
● 1 inch Ginger
● 1/4 tsp Pepper powder
● 1 bunch of Spring Onions
● 1 Onion
● 1 Green Chilli
● 1/4 tsp Pepper powder
● 3 pods of Garlic
● 2 tsp Tomato ketchup
● 1 tsp Soy sauce
● 1 tsp Rice vinegar
● 1 tsp Sugar
● 3 tsp Sesame oil
1. Heat some oil in a wok.
2. Toss in the Ginger, garlic, green chili, Spring Onions (white part) and onions and give them a quick toss.
3. Add the finely chopped bell peppers and add it to the pan.
4. Steam the finely chopped vegetables for a bit. They should still be crisp.
4. Now in goes the soy sauce, Tomato ketchup and Rice Vinegar.
5. Add in black pepper, white pepper and sprinkle very little salt. Add the sugar.
6. These steps happen super quick, the ingredients go into the wok just one after the other.
7. Now lower the flame, and toss in the cooked rice that's been cooled.
6. Stir fry making sure you don't mush the rice. Check for salt and and garnish with the green leafy part of the spring onion.
Serve hot. Serve it with a spicy side like Gobi Manchurian for an awesome meal! https://www.aromaticproject.com/post/gobi-manchurian