A refreshing and protein rich salad with the goodness of chickpeas and vegetables! Sprinkled with spices for the zing and pizzazz. Simple and delicious treat!
Chickpeas also known as Garbanzo beans is protein rich and versatile. I should have probably called this dish Chickpea Heaven instead of salad. It's a truly refreshing mix of simple ingredients that can be put together in just 5 minutes. It's one of the salads that doesn't call for any fancy, fatty dressings. All it needs is some lemon juice and few spices and you are good to go!
I use an Instant pot to boil the chickpeas/garbanzo beans. I soak dry chickpeas over night in water and pressure cook them in the Instant pot for 30 min and natural pressure release. If you want to avoid the prep and make it at a moment's notice, you can also use a can of store bought garbanzo beans instead, and simple strain them and use it in the recipe.
The versatility of this dish is exceptional. It can be served as is for healthy meal , rolled in a roti or pita for a filling yet quick meal. It can also be served as is for a healthy snack. If you want to get really creative add in your choice of vegetables to it but I would suggested to start with the recipe below and then play with the flavors.
Serves 3 Ready in 10 min
● 2 cups boiled chickpeas/ 1 15.5 oz Can of Chickpeas
● 2 cups Cucumber diced
● 2 cups Tomatoes diced
● 1/2 cup Red Onion diced ( skip if you are not serving immediately)
● 2 tbsp Cumin powder
● 1 tsp Black salt (optional)
● 1 tsp Pepper powder
● 1 tsp Chili Powder
● 3 tbsp Lemon juice
● 1 tsp Oil
● 3 tbsp Cilantro chopped
● Salt to taste
1. In a small pan, heat a tsp of oil and sauté the boiled Chickpeas with some salt and chili powder for just 5 min on medium heat. It gives a nice texture and flavor to the chickpeas.
2. In a medium sized bowl add in the chopped Cucumber, Tomato, Onion and the sautéed chickpeas.
3. Stir in the chopped Cilantro.
4. Add in the cumin powder, Black salt, pepper and salt to the taste and toss the salad for all the flavors to get incorporated.
5. Let sit for 5 min and serve.
Serve this refreshing salad cool or at room temperature. Great as an on the go snack as well.
As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.