A lip-smacking potato stuffed unleavened flatbread from North India. Spicy and tangy with an array of spices, it is served with yogurt and Indian pickle. Topped with a dollop of butter just before serving. Must try!
Aloo paratha is a staple dish in most Indian households and is often prepared for a wholesome and delicious breakfast. Aloo means Potato and Paratha means stuffed flatbread. There are several variations of parathas. This recipe calls for a mashed potato stuffing, one could make it healthier by adding boiled mixed vegetables like carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. Good way to mask vegetables for picky eaters :)
Mashed potatoes: I have tried various ways of doing it as it requires a super smooth consistency. You can get consistent great results with an #InstantPot to steam the potatoes. Steam setting for 12 min, Vent closed and Natural pressure release.
Makes 8 parathas Ready in 45 min
● 3 cups Whole wheat flour
● 3 tsp oil or ghee
● 1 tsp salt
● 1 tsp Carom seeds (Ajwain)
● 3 tsp Gram flour
● Water as required
● 4 medium potatoes, mashed
● 1 tbsp roasted, pounded Coriander seeds
● 1 inch Ginger, grated
● 2 Green chilis, chopped fine
● 1 tbsp Anardhana powder or Amchur powder
● 2 tbsp finely chopped Coriander leaves
● 1 tsp dry Fenugreek leaves
● Oil or Ghee to roast the parathas
● Salt to taste
● Yogurt with a dash of pepper & salt
● Whole Green chilis
1. Dough: Take a medium sized bowl and add whole wheat flour, gram flour and oil/ghee. Mix well and form a crumb like mixture. Add water as required and knead till it becomes a soft dough. Rub the surface of the dough with a little bit of oil. Cover with a moist paper towel or cloth and set aside for at least 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Now time to make the mashed potato filling.
3. Take another bowl and add in all the ingredients listed under the filling section, except the oil.
4. Make sure there are no lumps and its a smooth mixture. The mashed potatoes have to be real smooth before mixing in the rest of the ingredients. I find mashing with a fork easier or you can just grate the boiled potatoes.
5. Let's make the aloo paratha now.
6. Gently knead the wheat flour dough. Divide them into equal roundlets and pat them to make small discs with some whole wheat flour.
7. Roll them into circles with a rolling pin. Refer the pics below. Add filling in the center.
8. Wrap the filling and remove any excess dough.
9. Now roll again to make a nice round flat bread. Dust it with wheat flour from to time to make sure it doesn't stick to the surface.
10. Heat a griddle to high heat. Add the prepared paratha and roast on both sides for about 30 seconds until nicely roasted. Flip over and brush with ghee on both sides of the paratha. Time to serve them as a delicious breakfast , lunch or dinner!
Serve hot with yogurt, pickle and a dollop of butter. It tastes just as good and is still soft even when served at room temperature. Just wrap them individually in aluminum foil, for an awesome on the go lunch!